Wednesday, October 6, 2010

P87x

Yeah, I'm fully aware of the fact that the program is actually called the "P90X", but I'm using the "90" as a countdown to my end date...

That's right. I'm finally taking part in the Tony Horton, P90X phenomenon.

As you can clearly see, I've already done three days worth of exercises, hence the "87" in the title. Before I discuss this any further, allow me to provide you, the reader, with a bit of history regarding my fitness level:

Name: Pete
Age: 37
Height: 5' 10"
Weight: 204 lbs.
BMI: 29.3 (Overweight (partially inaccurate, as a pinch test reveals that my true BMI is closer to 25 (which is still slightly overweight, but not by much)))

Exercise: Daily - mixture of martial arts (Tae Kwon Do), biking, yoga and weights
Eating Habits: Mostly healthy - around 2500 calories per day
Overall fitness level: Very good

Most of my weight is centered around the midsection, what many refer to as a "beer gut". This is due to a number of poor eating habits, most of which came on during the time I was on anti-depressants. Sad, but true. Given all of my above factors, I came to the conclusion that the time was right to jump into the P90X program and on Monday, October 4th, 2010, my new exercise program began.

Day 1: Chest and Back

I was pretty pumped when I popped in the video. I knew it would be tough, but I was looking forward to the challenge. On the whole, it was difficult, but I spent most of the time finding the proper weights and doing smaller amounts of reps - still enough to make me sweat buckets, but not enough to take me down too much. I found the exercises very logical, easy to understand and well presented - Tony Horton's sense of humor is a tad bit cheesy, but he is always amusing. He's also supportive and also drives you to want to continue.

Ab Ripper X followed this routine. Ab Ripper X is, as I'm sure you've surmised, a workout video intended to help tone your abdominal area. It was hard as nails, but worth every moment. I couldn't keep up with the trainers and I know I felt like I wasn't doing a good job, but in the end, I gave it my best and I know I'll get better each and every session.


Day 2: Plyometrics

The second day of the program started the same as the first - I was filled with excitement and looked forward to the workout ahead. I was a tad bit sore from the previous day, but wasn't about to let that bother me. I pressed play and began the jumping program they call "Plyometrics"...

And I swear I was going to die after I was finished.

I pride myself on the condition of my legs - I have pretty well defined quads and while my hamstrings and calves are on the tight side, I thought I could handle this program easily. It was a lot of fun, there is no doubt, but it was grueling and my legs were worked in ways I didn't know they could work. Easily the most difficult day so far! Couple that with the cardio Tae Kwon Do class I taught earlier that day and I burned an easy 2500 calories! :)

Day 3: Shoulders and Arms

When I awoke this morning and climbed out of bed, I was met with legs that were pretty pissed off and wanted to make me very aware of this fact. My quads really were sore and I DO mean sore. I didn't let it bug me, but they are still sore and I'm hoping they feel better in the morning. Working through the doms, I went on with the program for day three - Shoulders and Arms. Thankfully, this was an easier workout, but when I say easier, I mean to say that it didn't fully destroy me! It was a great workout and I felt it a lot. Great exercises, great instructions... just great!

So tomorrow is Yoga day, a full 90 minutes of one of my favorite relaxations activities - though P90X style! :) Suffice to say, my pain level is mostly leg based and while it's somewhat high, I'm just going to work through it. I have Tae Kwon Do in the morning, so I'll use that to stretch and loosen myself up, but it's going to be a rough first few weeks, at least until my body acclimates. :)

I'll report back tomorrow with an update!

Until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment